Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Angry

I need an audience for a venting session and you guys are the lucky ones. I am so sick of people looking at me like I am a freakshow! So what if I have 4 children. Just because the average family stops at two kids does not mean that my family needs to be gawked at or receive comments of other people's sympathy. We are happy being a family of 6. Why do people feel the need to be so rude about it? For example, here are some of the more popular comments we receive:
* "Better you than me" in reference to me having 4 kids and a stranger having 2 or 3.
* "Are those all yours?" the common question in the grocery store when I actually have all 4 kids with me by myself.
* "Were you trying for 4 kids?" A little personal don't you think?
* "I'm glad I don't have kids" is said a lot when my kids are acting up in the store. My bagger at Family Fare actually said this one to me.
* "How would you like spoiled kids like that?" Again from someone at Family Fare in reference to my kids who were running all over while I was trying to check-out.

I will admit my kids are rambunctious, a little spoiled, and loud. But YOU trying taking care of 4 kids in the age range of 5 and 2 years old. Maybe we did do this to ourselves, but it's our life. Why do people feel the need to criticize it?

5 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

Oh Stacy, I feel for you! I get all those comments too! I hate the really personal ones! I am still always caught off guard, and think of really good come-backs on the way home.

Anonymous said...

Tell them "Oh, you like??? I bought them at a yard sale in 2000. This wise old Indian woman told me they were magic beans, and look what they grew into." That will shut them up...

Anonymous said...

When someone says that they're glad they don't have kids, tell them that you are also glad they don't have any.
Maybe you need to stop going to Family Fare. Come to Meijer and listen to all the crazy kids (probably mine) and their exasperated mothers. We who go to Meijer can't afford a nanny! ;-)

Tina said...

haha...ditto!

Stacy said...

Great advice! I often do shop at Meijer and I must admit I do not get as many stares.